Canadian Literary Censorship Project Reflection
Looking back, I believe we did a good job with the resources and data we had at our disposal. Our data was based on surveys and CFLA/CFE sources, and we managed to compile 139 entries. While this number is not sufficient for a comprehensive analysis, it does provide a good starting point to understand the literary censorship status in our local area.
One of the key takeaways from this project is the need for more data. It became clear to us that the sample size we had was small, which made it challenging to draw an accurate conclusion. Moving forward, we need to explore ways to collect more data to supplement our findings.
Another important lesson from this project is the need for transparent communication when it comes to book banning or removal. It is crucial for authorities to provide detailed reasons for why a particular book has been banned or removed from circulation. Although some public libraries have already implemented this, we found that school libraries generally do not provide such detailed information.
What we can find is only what they allow us to find. If there is any literature that the authorities do not want us to know, it would be very difficult for us to know. Although, this idea might be closer to a conspiracy. I think maybe we could establish a “Tell us your story” portal to the general Canadian public / audience / readers to gather their stories/experiences with literary censorship. This way, we are not only focusing on the data from libraries, schools or publishers, but the much wider group of people that include every single Canadian.
In conclusion, this project has been a valuable learning experience for me both as a web design student and research assistant. It has taught me the importance of data collection, transparency and inclusivity. While there is still much work to be done, I believe that with more data and an open and transparent approach to literary censorship, we can make progress towards a more equitable and just society.